Many times problems with belts start even earlier than the moment when the belts are installed. One of the most ignored factors by end users is the storage and handling of the belts. Belts may be stored up to 6 years if stored correctly. Here are some general guidelines to make sure your belts will perform as they are supposed to:
- Belts need to be stored in a dry and cool environment Ideally at less than 85 ⁰F.
- Relative Humidity should be no more than 70%.
- Store the belts in shelves or in boxes or containers.
- V Belt may be hang from a wall if they are hung in a saddle with a diameter at least the size of the minimum sheave size recommended for the belt cross section since belts must never be bend to diameters smaller than this. Also back bends must never be less than 1.3 times the minimum recommended sheave size for the belt cross section. Here is a chart with the smallest cross section V Belt bend per size:
Sheave Diam. (in)
- If belt is stored in containers or boxes, make sure the belt is not distorted by the weight of the others.
- Avoid storage places with direct sun light exposure, direct air flow from any kind of heating device or exposure to any kind of solvent or chemical exposure.
- Do not store belts on the floor unless they are in a protective container.
- Belts should not be exposed to ozone or store in areas where there is ozone generating devices like electric motors or transformers.
- Don’t use ties or tape to pull spans tight together.
Belts can be coiled in loops for storage purposes. One coil results in 3 loops, 2 coils 5 loops,3 coils 7 loops…
The maximum number of coils depend on the length of the belt. Here are the limits for coiling:
|Number of coils||Number of Loops|
|3L, 4L, 5L, A, AX,
AA, B, BX, 3V,
3VX, 9R, 13R, 13C,
13CX, 13D, 16R, 16C, 16CX, 9N
|Under 60||Under 1500||0||1|
|60 up to 120||1500 up to 3000||1||3|
|120 up to 180||3000 up to 4600||2||5|
|180 and over||4600 and over||3||7|
|BB, C, CX, 5V,
5VX, 16D, 22C,
|Under 75||Under 1900||0||1|
|75 up to 144||1900 up to 3700||1||3|
|144 up to 240||3700 up to 6000||2||5|
|240 and over||6000 and over||3||7|
|CC, D, 22D, 32C||Under 120||Under 3000||0||1|
|120 up to 240||3000 up to 6100||1||3|
|240 up to 330||6100 up to 8400||2||5|
|330 up to 420||8400 up to 10,600||3||7|
|420 and over||10,600 and over||4||9|
|8V, 25N||Under 80||Under 4600||0||1|
|80 up to 270||4600 up to 6900||1||3|
|270 up to 3690||6900 up to 9,900||2||5|
|390 up to 480||9,900 up to 12,200||3||7|
|480 and over||12,200 and over||4||9|
Variable speed belts are more sensitive to distortion that any other v belt and they can’t be hang from pins, hangs or saddlers. They need to be stored on their edges in shelves. And they may be staked as long as you avoid distortion on the belts at the bottom of the stack.